S151920x-70
Icon: St Savva of Zvenigorod (St Savva Storozhevsky) | S-15
 
Origin Russia
Period : 17th century
Size : 31.5 x 25.7 cm
 

St Savva, one of the first disciples of Sergei of Radonezh, founded a monastery on Storozhi Holm (Watching Hill) near Zvenigorod, commissioned by Prince Yuri in 1398. After his death in 1407, St. Savva was burried in the small white stone cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin, that still stands today. Some of the frescoes date back to the 1420s (attributed to Andrei Rublev), but most of the interior was painted in 1656.

In 1650, the monastery was chosen by Tsar Aleksei as his suburban residence. After the death of his son and successor Tsar Feodor III, who spent most of his time there, the monastery declined. In May 1918, when the Bolsheviks tried to seize the relics of St. Savva, several men were shot dead. In 1985, the cloister was assigned to the Danilov Monastery in Moscow. St. Savva's relics were returned to the monastery in 1998.