F-51920x-70
Icon: Mother of God Tichvinskaya | F-05
 
 
Origin Russia, Moscow
Period : second half 16th century
Size
: 28 x 22.5 cm
 

The Virgin gestures towards the Christ Child with her right hand. Christ is dressed as a classical philosopher in an ochre robe decorated with fine gold lines. With his right hand He makes a sign of blessing and in his other hand He holds a closed scroll. In the Tichvinskaya, Mary slightly inclines her head towards Christ, whereas in the Hodegetria she is depicted more sternly and frontally. Another important characteristic is that the Christ Child has crossed his right leg under his left, showing the bare sole of his foot.

In 1383, seventy years before the fall of the Byzantine Empire, the prototype of the Tikvinskaya miraculously disappeared from Constantinople. Taken by angels, it appeared in Russia, over Lake Ladoga, in the same year. From there it floated to the village of Tikhvin, up to the banks of the river Tikhvinka. On this site, the inhabitants of the town built a simple wooden church where the icon was kept. In 1547 Tsar Ivan the Terrible came to Tikhvin to venerate the icon. In 1560 he had a monastery built next to the church where the icon was kept.